Researchers at Aalborg University and Aalborg University Hospital can publish free of charge in a number of Elsevier's hybrid journals.
Open Access publishing in Elsevier journals
Researchers affiliated with a Danish research institution (as corresponding author and with an institutional e-mail such as an AAU-mail or RN-mail) can publish Open Access free of charge in a number of Elsevier's hybrid journals.
The term hybrid journals covers journals that require subscription in order to read the articles. However, as author, you can pay an Article Processing Charge/APC to make the article available as Open Access. Thus, some Elsevier articles are behind a paywall while others are paid for to be available as Open Access.
As such, they differ from actual Gold Open Access journals where all articles are made Open Access through prepaid APC.
The above is a result of an agreement with Elsevier reached by the Royal Library's National Licensing Consortium on behalf of the Danish universities and other research institutions. The agreement with Elsevier covers a four-year period from 2021 to 2024 and applies to both Aalborg University and Aalborg University Hospital.
The new element in the agreement is that the publishing fee for selected journals is "cancelled" for institutions covered by the agreement in order to publish Gold Open Access without additional costs.
- The author does NOT have to pay an Article Processing Charge (APC) for publishing in "hybrid" journals covered by the agreement.
- The article is published with a CC-BY licence (read more about CC licences)
- The author retains copyright
- The article (Published version) becomes immediately available as Open Access
- The article (Published version) can be submitted to Pure/VBN without an embargo period
- Likewise, if an author from another Danish research institution appears as corresponding author, the article must be registered as Open Access in VBN.
- The new benefits do not apply, if the corresponding author is UNAFFILIATED with one of the Danish participating institutions.
This is what you should do:
Once your research article has been accepted for publication in an Elsevier journal, you will receive an email containing a link to the “post-acceptance author journey”. IT IS IMPORTANT that you select Aalborg University or Aalborg University Hospital as your institutional affiliation and use your corresponding AAU email or RN email so that you can publish under Elsevier's Open Access conditions.
The agreement with Elsevier covers articles submitted from 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2024.
- IMPORTANT: As corresponding author, you MUST use your AAU email or RN email (NOT your private email). This allows for verification of your affiliation and consequent coverage by the agreement.
- Select Gold Open Access to publish your article without publishing fee
- PLEASE NOTICE! You must select Gold Open Access even if you publish in a "hybrid" journal
- Select a CC-BY licence (read more about CC licences)
Journals that are NOT included
Actual Gold Open Access journals are NOT included in the Open Access agreement. Publication fees (APC) for journals on this list remain in order to publish articles as Open Access.
In addition, there are approximately 80 other Hybrid Open Access journals from Elsevier that are not covered by the agreement, and that will require payment of APC if you want to publish your article Open Access.
If you have any questions about how to publish Open Access in Elsevier journals, please contact the VBN team: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about other parts of the agreement, such as access to Elsevier journals, please contact AUB Licence Administration: email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding the actual contract with Elsevier, please contact the Royal Danish Library's National Licensing Consortium: firstname.lastname@example.org