When you hand in your thesis in Pure, you will be prompted to select whether your PhD thesis must be published electronically. If you select that the file to the Evaluation Committee can be published, the file will (following a favourably assessed defence) be made ready for e-publication by Aalborg University Press after you have formally been awarded your degree. Aalborg University Press will appear as publisher. As the author, you keep all the rights to the thesis.
If you want to, it is possible to state an embargo period for the actual publication of the thesis. This may occur in instances where you are e.g. negotiating with another publisher.
Award of PhD degree
If you choose to do so, the thesis will be published electronically in Aalborg University’s PhD series via the Research Portal (VBN), once the award of the PhD degree has been formally approved by the Academic Council, and registered by the faculty office.
Aalborg University’s five PhD series
There are five PhD series - one for each main area:
- The PhD series for the Faculty of Medicine, Aalborg University - ISSN (online) 2246-1302
- The PhD series for the Faculty of Humanities, Aalborg University - ISSN (online) 2246-123x
- The PhD series for the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Aalborg University - ISSN (online) 2246-1636
- The PhD series for the Faculty of Social Sciences, Aalborg University - ISSN (online) 2246-1256
- The PhD series for the Technical Faculty of IT and Design, Aalborg University - ISSN (online) 2446-1628
Aalborg University Press is the publisher and is responsible for the assignment of ISBN and ISSN. The author keeps all rights to the thesis. Read more about copyright at Aalborg University.
Aalborg University Library is responsible for archiving PhD theses. All versions (ideally there is only one) of the individual thesis are filed in the university’s full text repository Pure for the purpose of any subsequent needs for documentation.
The individual thesis is displayed via the university’s Research Portal (VBN), at the PhD student’s VBN profile, via the department’s VBN profile and AAU homepage, as well as at the homepage of Aalborg University Press.